Welcome to the Wellbalanced Exercise Programme, delivered by Active House Solutions in partnership with Places Leisure on behalf of Mid Sussex Wellbeing.
Here are some commonly asked questions to provide you with further information on our programme:
Who can attend the Wellbalanced Classes?
The programme is for patients who….
- Have been referred by a health professional or falls service
- Feel unsteady on their feet
- Have experienced a fall
- Want to prevent a fall
- Can rise from a chair without help
- Unstable angina or uncontrolled heart disease
- Tachycardia or uncontrolled arrhythmia
- Resting systolic BP>200mmHg or diastolic BP >110mmHg
- Severe Parkinson’s disease
- Severe breathlessness or dizziness
- Uncontrolled or poorly controlled epilepsy
- Uncontrolled or poorly controlled asthma / COPD
- Unmanaged pain
- Acute systemic illness (e.g. cancers)
- Severe Visual Impairment (under investigation)
- Any other uncontrolled condition
- Four or more medications not checked by GP >6mths
- Functional limiting diseases: such as severe stroke
- Cognition: Dementia, Alzheimer’s or severe cognitive impairment (unable to follow simple instructions)
- Sit to Stand: Patient is unable to rise from a chair independently, without assistance and stand unaided
- Mobility: Patient is unable to mobilise independently.
- Patient is immobile or walks with an aid and the support of two Carers
If any of the above apply, your patient is NOT suitable for this programme at this time. It is advisable to refer your patient to another service.
How do I refer a Patient?
Wellbalanced is a referral only programme. Patients can be referred using the following form;
Referrals are triaged for the most appropriate level of the programme. For further information please call 01444 477191 or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
How often do the classes take place?
The classes are held once per week and, once referred, participants will be able to attend 1 class per week for 24-weeks.
Where and when do the classes take place?
The weekly classes are held at:
- 2-3pm every Monday at Chequers Mead, East Grinstead, RH19 3BS.
- 1-2pm every Tuesday at Sidney West Community Hall, Burgess Hill, RH15 8HS.
- 1.30-2.30pm every Thursday at The Triangle Leisure Centre, Burgess Hill, RH15 8WA.
- 11.45-12.45pm and 1-2pm every Friday at Centenary Hall, St Wilfred’s Way, Haywards Heath, RH16 3QN.
How much does each session cost?
Each session costs £1. We would be grateful if participants could please pay the instructors on a weekly basis. Tea, coffee and biscuits are included at Haywards Heath & Burgess Hill.
What qualifications do class instructors hold?
Our classes are delivered by Postural Stability Instructors (PSI) supported by an assistant who has a minimum Otago training qualification. There are a minimum 2 instructors per class.
Do you provide transport?
Unfortunately we are unable to provide transport. If participants cannot make their own way, we recommend they use the Dial a Ride Service offered by the BlueBird Community Partnership.
They can be contacted by Email: email@example.com or by Telephone 01444 471919 or 01444 471177.
How is the programme evaluated?
Participants are assessed at week 1,12 and 24, using the following methods;
Results are evaluated quarterly in conjunction with the Mid Sussex Wellbeing Team.
What happens at the end of the 24-week programme?
We encourage participants to keep exercising and have organised follow on classes they can attend.
Where can I find out more about Falls Prevention?
Here some links to useful resources;
Please contact us for further information.